Monday, December 22, 2008

Even More Free Programming Books

In a previous post I listed a few programming books that I found available for free online. Since then, I've been scouring the net looking for even more free programming books. Here's what I've found. (Note: As before, I haven't read all of these, so don't take this as a list of informed endorsements. Besides, they're free. You can read them yourself.)

  1. Practical Common Lisp
  2. Data Structures and Algorithms with Object-Oriented Design Patterns in C#
  3. Squeak by Example
  4. The Art of Unix Programming
  5. Algorithms
  6. Practical PHP Programming (Wikibook)
  7. Foundations of Programming

It just occurred to me how eclectic this list is. It's not every day that you see books on Lisp, C#, and PHP collected in the same list. The Internet is as wide as it is wonderful. :)

Additional Note: As some alert readers over on reddit noticed, the online version of Programming Pearls is incomplete, so I've decided to replace it on my list. Sorry I didn't catch this sooner, but you can still enjoy the 3 sample chapters that the author has graciously made available for free.

And here, for those of you who don't read blog comments, are a few bonus picks submitted by readers of my previous post.
  1. Higher-Order Perl
  2. On Lisp
  3. Starting Forth
  4. Thinking Forth
  5. Learning J
  6. Basics of Algebra and Analysis for Computer Science
  7. Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming (PDF)
  8. .NET Book Zero
As always, I'm interested in hearing from you about even more free online programming material, whether they be in the form of books, tutorials, video lectures, etc...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Programming Pearls is one of the best out there; glad it made it to your list.

Bill the Lizard said...

Agreed, Programming Peals is a true classic. It's definitely the one book I was most excited about finding online. I've only read it once, about two years ago, so it might be time for another read soon.

Karan Vasudeva said...

The link for Programming Pearls only has 3 of 15 chapters. Great book!

Bill the Lizard said...

Karan,
Yes, as I noted in my earlier edits, only 3 chapters of that book are available for free, so I've replaced it on the list.

Anonymous said...

I'd highly recommend producing open source software. It's a highly useful guide for every part of the open source process.

Bill the Lizard said...

Jason,
Thanks for the book recommendation. Now I know what to answer to the weekly "How do I get my code included in an open source project?" question on Stack Overflow.